Sunday 5 July 2009

V/A - 20 Of Another Kind (1979)



In 1979 I was 12. I'd had my first record player for my 11th birthday and my record collection was thinner than Victoria Beckham, consisting mostly of Blondie and Showaddywaddy (anyone under 40, look it up).

My cousin, John, was 4 years older and a punk and his records were a revelation to me. He introduced me to The Damned (see later post) but he also had this which, having taped it off him (again, kids, look up "tapes"), I played to death.

20 Of Another Kind became my punk primer and I went on to buy albums by every one of the bands on this album (with the exception of Belgian novelty act Plastic Bertrand - the horrors in that sentance "Belgian"+"novelty act"), informing my musical choices for the next 10 years at least.

I can categorically say that this is the album that got me into music and you need it. Trust me.

Tracklist:

Plastic Bertrand - Ca Plane Pour Moi ; The Jam - In The City; The Skids - Sweet Suburbia; Otway And Barratt - Beware Of The Flowers; Sham 69 - Borstal Breakout; The Cure - Killing An Arab; Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device; The Adverts - Gary Gilmore's Eyes; Generation X - Ready Steady Go; 999 - Homicide; The Stranglers - No More Heroes; The Boys - The First Time; Patrik Fitzgerald - Irrelevant Battles; Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United; The Jolt - No Excuses; Otway And Barratt - Really Free; The Heartbreakers - Born Too Loose; 999 - Emergency; The Lurkers - I'm On Heat; The Jam - 'A' Bomb In Wardour Street.

P.S. Clearly home taping didn't kill music - nor will blogging.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Taping_Is_Killing_Music

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showaddywaddy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Bertrand

2 comments:

  1. This was a gem and brings back memories of many early teen parties, illicit cider quaffing and nervous fumbles. I had the vinyl and taped it so i could keep it in my overcoat pocket in case a party broke out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it was/is a gem! Also had Vol.2 which was good but not AS good as this.

    Thanks for the comment, Herb ;-)

    Rich

    ReplyDelete